All of the boy bibs in my first batch sold out quickly from my shop. (I had only made four. Doh!) Whenever I’d get another request for a bib it was always for a boy bib, of which I had none.
Because making boy bibs stresses me out! Making anything for boys stresses me out! There is a limited supply of acceptable, attractive boy fabric out there. I can’t bring myself to purchasing something that’s sickeningly cutesy-wootsy or overly babyish. It has to say, “Boy!!” not, “Wimpy Boy!”
Every time I try to pick boy fabric I end up veering off to the girlie side. I tell myself, “only red, orange, yellow, blue, green, black, gray colors” and end up with floral or funky feminine stuff in that color range.
So when my friend K special ordered a bib I had her choose the fabric. She chose this cute zoo fabric by Alexander Henry, pictured above. I found a good stripe to complement it and we were on our way!
I had been eying this amazing Madras print by Emily Herrick for a while and decided to make another batch of boy bibs with that.
“Look at me!” I thought. “That was so easy!”
Until I noticed something.
Right. There. In the fabric.
I made the bibs anyway. They’re still boyish enough for me. Since most modern parents aren’t frightened of metro sexual things I think we’re okay. With the added bonus of the bib looking good on girls, too.
Though I’m still a little annoyed at myself for not picking “entirely masculine” fabric, yet again.
One of these days I will. Just as soon as pink and purple flowers look good on guys. Wait. They do. I sell pink and purple dress shirts at work all the time.
Maybe that’s my problem.
Comments are now closed.